Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How Do You Get Black Kids to Learn? Teach!

When we argue for "Supportive Parents" and "Quality Teaching" as critical factors in achieving academic excellence, it is difficult to convey this message in a meaningful way. In addition, this site argues for "Building a Learning Culture" again, a difficult concept for many to visualize.

In the following interview with teacher Anitra Pinchback, it all comes together for me.
Note the following statements by Ms. Pinchback:

"We are always looking for outside accountability but as educators we should have inside accountability, too. You should do it because it works not because someone is looking"

"Each year, I meet with my parents during the first 2 weeks of school. I cover learning expectations and standards, and set the tone."

"I worked with parents on their (the child's) behavior and attitudes. I told them it's a lifestyle (culture) change for the family."

I hope these few excerpts have whet your appetite for more. Because there is much, much more.

Click on the link below for the full interview. If you have a passion in this area, you will not be disappointed.



How Do You Get Black Kids to Learn? Teach!

No comments:

Visitors to the Site